Blackprinz Malt is produced from hulless barley and functions as a 1:1 replacement to debittered black malt, but with smoother flavor. That's because debittered black malts are made by removing a great deal of the husk, but not all of it. Since husk develops bitter notes during roasting, debittered black malts will contribute a certain amount of bitter, astringent or dry flavors or aftertaste to beer. Blackprinz Malt will contribute the same color characteristics as Black Malt but without the bitter, astringent, dry flavors or aftertaste.
- Malt Style: Bitterless Black Malt
- Flavor: Subtle, smooth
- No bitter, astringent, dry flavors or aftertaste
- Very delicate, clean flavor
- Mild roasted malty flavor
- Color: Dark brown to black tones
- Use in Black IPAs, Black Lagers, Black Ales, Schwarzbiers and other beers for deep, rich color with only hints of subtle roasted flavor, and for color adjustment in any beer style
- 1-2% Minor color adjustment with little to no flavor impact in lighter colored lagers and ales
- 2-5% Adds color with subtle, smooth flavor
- 5-10% Use in larger quantities for color plus mild roasted malty flavor
Delicate, clean flavors make this malt ideal for contributing color when little flavor impact is desired. Smooth and mellow with hints of toasty, malty flavor.
All homebrew grains are sold by the pound. You also have the ability to add tenths of pound amounts.